We are pleased to welcome some of the most interesting winemakers from around the world for our wine dinners, representing wines chosen for our wine cellar by Manager, Barny Taylor, both new wines made in new ways, and long established names, offering traditional qualities, but in no way strangers themselves to new learning.
Our wine dinners emerge from a thoughtful and creative process:
- the wines are individually selected by Manager, Barny Taylor, and Head Chef, Kenneth Culhane, working with the winemaker to ensure that the wines are representative of their House
- the ingredients and the flavours available at peak quality in the season at the time of the dinner are discussed and chosen with a view to the wines’ and the flavours’ drawing out the best qualities of each other and sometimes, never slavishly, doffing the hat to traditional flavours associated with the wine producing region
- from this the order of wines and the dishes are created
- and the balance adjusted to work across the meal as a whole
- the same process applies to the vegetarian menu.
The wine maker and producer, often a member of the House family, attends to help introduce the wines.
Some flavours and dishes have surprised the wine makers in anticipation, but delighted them on the evening and have been feted for showing added dimensions to the wine. Jean Trimbach, the twelfth generation of the Trimbach family to make Grands Vins d’Alsace, F.E. Trimbach, was one such and congratulated Manager and Chef for a “fabulous experience and gastronomic pleasure”. Guigal expressed great admiration for the way in which the wines were matched and offered in a surprising sequence that worked beautifully.
Manager, Barny Taylor, comments: “The wine dinners are a marvellous way of demonstrating that the whole experience of well-matched wines and food is greater than the sum of the parts – we really enjoy creating these dinners. We have had the pleasure of working with such names as Fonterutoli, Meinert, Blandys, Gosset, Guigal, Staete Landt and Trimbach to name just a few.”
For further information or to book a place at our next wine dinner please email us at firstname.lastname@example.org or call Barny Taylor on 07967 481625.